.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

La memoria de una comunidad.

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Jerusalem

After an uneventful trip (I say this happily), my mother and I arrived in Tel Aviv at 9:00am today. We claimed our luggage and found a sherut (collective taxi) on its way to Jerusalem. The first two passengers, we didn’t know how long we’d have to wait until all ten seats were filled. In the meantime, five additional passengers boarded and we got to chatting. Again.

Three women were on a peace delegation representing the St. Ignatius Parish on 84th and Park Avenue in NY. They were met at the airport by an older English gentleman who was living in Hebron and also a part of this peacemaking organization. The crew was finished out by an orthodox Jew who finally told the group where he was from in Brooklyn.

“Trust me,” he said, “You’ve never been there.”

We guessed on our second try.

After haggling with our driver and agreeing to pay five more shekels each, we were able to hit the road. I struggled to keep my mouth closed throughout the 45 minute trip from the outskirts of Tel Aviv to the capital of Jerusalem. The roads were spotless and bordered by shades of green and brown. Small armored vehicles on the side of the road caused a rustle amongst the passengers; “reminders of the Six Day War,” explained the former Brooklynite.

After miles of rock and continuous construction, our driver dropped off our first passenger.

“Enjoy the Holy Land!” he waved before disappearing inside one of the many yeshivot (schools of learning) in his neighborhood.

I tried reading the signs in Hebrew and was mildly successful (go Hebrew School!). Even so, I could not translate but a few words so ultimately, I was no great help. The three Catholics and their guide prepared to get off at the Damascus Gate of the Old City. The City was nothing like my eight year-old mind remembered.

The driver dropped us off last and we struggled to drag my heavy recording equipment up to the reception desk. Suddenly the fatigue hit. We nodded as the lady told us about the hotel and minutes later we were in our room.

I opened the shades immediately and we sat on our twin beds to admire the view...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home