.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

La memoria de una comunidad.

Monday, October 10, 2005

Arrived

The plane was completed packed and I mean p-a-c-k-e-d. I had not slept very well the past few nights so a few minutes after takeoff, I was out. I woke up a few times but really snapped out of it when I heard some gasps coming from the woman beside me.

We were flying over Salvador and the mudslides/disaster areas were pretty visible. As we descended towards the airport, the mud rivers became larger and larger. People craned their necks to get a view and I leaned back in my window-seat so the women beside me could check out the landscape. It was very intense even from that distance.

The flight was very smooth and I moved through immigration easily. Immigration asked me a few questions about my family (I checked off "OTHER" when indicating my purpose of travel) and upon learning that my mother was born and raised in El Salvador, the agent crossed out my "OTHER" and entered "RESIDENCE." I sort of liked that....made me feel less like the obvious gringa chelita that I am.

After determining that my luggage did not arrive with me, I stood in line to state my claim and of course to debate the fate of our maletas with fellow unlucky passengers. I found my cousin Sandy in the process and after she waited for me to finish waiting in line, we got through customs and hit the road.

The sun disguised the looming tragedy of the past few days....so did the highway from the airport to the capital. Without a barrier in-site, we reached the capital in less than an hour.

Now settled in at my home away from home, I am starting to get my bearings and think about the upcoming few days. There is a lot to learn and while that can be daunting at times, it also gives me a renewed sense of excitement.

In the meantime, I'll just say a little prayer for my luggage before going to bed in my new room.....complete with terrace and blooming flowers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home