.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

La memoria de una comunidad.

Monday, March 06, 2006

Who will it be?

This weekend was not an easy one as I (like many others in El Salvador) was infected with some horrific stomach virus. Despite my vigilant monitoring of all food and water (which, may I add, definitely gets old) , it got to the tummy through the wind....or something.

Therefore, I had many idle hours to consider my work and my ideas and my direction. I also had plenty of time to think about El Salvador; a country with such a rich history, a truly riveting present, and a somewhat tenuous future. This past month, CAFTA was ratified by President Tony Saca only a few weeks after the passing of Schafik Handal, former FMLN presidential candidate, former guerilla, and leader of the Salvadoran Left.

And now.....Elections are this Sunday and predictions are all over the place. Observers are flying in from around the world and I've been told to stay at home and lock my door.

After speaking with individuals from all over the political spectrum, it is obvious to any outsider that this election means a lot to many. What I found most interesting is that many of those with whom I spoke favored the FMLN and despite their pronounced political fervor.... they have no plans to vote. ARENA, embodying the majority of the Salvadoran Right, is the party to which the current president belongs. The propaganda campaign has been astounding. Flags drape every corner, electric pole posts are painted the trademark red, white, & blue (coincidence?). My favorite tactic: young men and women are recruited to wave ARENA flags and dance at every major intersection. By the end of the day, the pasted on smiles start to fade and the perfect ARENA facepaint has been dissolved by eight hours of sweat.

It's a serious affair. This small country has been through hell....and back. All I can hope for is a safe and free election this weekend...but one cannot help but realize that many people don't think the prognosis looks so good; 700 Salvadorans leave for the United States each day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home